"Washington Street Graded School, Sumter, S.C.," postmarked March 13, 1906
"St. Joseph's Academy, Sumter, S.C.," postmarked July 29, 1907
The Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy established this school in 1862. This building stood on East Liberty Street. The school closed in 1929.
"Sumter- 1908 High School Champions of S.C., Sumter, 95- Opponents, 0," postmarked February 26, 1909
"Sumter, S.C, Calhoun Street High School," postmarked April 8, 1909
"School Buildings of Sumter, S.C., St. Joseph's Academy (top), Washington School (Bottom), no postmark, c. 1915
This building dates to 1904 and was located on Monument Square, near Calhoun Street and Confederate Memorial.
"Girls High School, Sumter, S.C.," no postmark, c. 1920s-1930s
"Calhoun Street High School, Sumter, S.C.," no postmark, c. 1920s
"Lincoln High School," no postmark, c. 1950s-1960s
Lincoln High School was established as an African-American elementary school in 1874. The core of the building, pictured here, dates to 1925. The two, two-story additions on the sides of the core date to 1950. From 1921-1969 the school operated as a high school. In 1969, Lincoln High merged with Edmunds High School to form Sumter High School.
"Night Time View, Edmunds High School, Sumter, S.C.," no postmark, c. 1940s
Back- "Sumter, S.C. is named for General Thomas Sumter, famous "Gamecock" of the American Revolution, who in 1783 founded old Stateburg in the 'High Hills of the Santee,' just 10 miles from Sumter and almost in the exact geographical center of the State. Located on U.S. Highway 15, main and most direct tourist route between Florida and the Northeast, Sumter lies half-way between New York and Miami and is a favorite stopping place for tourists."
Edmunds High School and Lincoln High School merged in 1969 to form Sumter High School.
"Central School, Sumter, S.C.," no postmark, c. 1920s-1930s